Dentures are a form of treatment for dental restoration. They are false teeth that are used to replace missing teeth. Tooth loss can be caused by various factors – injury or trauma, decay, periodontal disease (gum disease), age, or genetics.
The importance of tooth replacement lies in the fact that loss of teeth can cause the other teeth to start shifting from their original positions. The jawbone begins to lose its density as well. All of these can give rise to further biting, chewing, or speaking problems.
You can consult a Dacula family dentist to know more about the advantages of choosing dentures.
Types of dentures
Dentures are available in two types:
- Partial dentures
Partial dentures are helpful for people who have some remaining teeth. They are positioned in the teeth using metal clasps. Replacement teeth are attached to a gum-colored plastic base.
- Complete dentures
Complete dentures are helpful for those who are missing all their teeth. These are further of two types – conventional and immediate. Conventional dentures are placed 8-12 weeks after the teeth have been removed. This allows the gum tissue to heal. In this way, conventional dentures are less invasive. Immediate dentures are made in advance and are ready for use as soon as the teeth are removed. The patient does not have to worry about not having any teeth during the healing period.
Advantages of dentures
- Dentures are removable: Some people cannot commit to the idea of permanent oral fixtures. Dentures are a viable alternative for them. Both partial and full dentures are removable.
- Maintenance: Since dentures are removable, they are easy to clean. Every time you remove your denture, you can use a soft-bristled toothbrush and paste to clean it to eliminate build-up and plaque gently.
- General health: The loss of just one tooth can drastically affect your oral health. Restoration of function with dentures will decrease your chances of developing further complications.
- Aesthetic: Missing teeth can interfere with your confidence and self-esteem. Dentures mimic natural teeth very closely, so you can expect a natural-looking set of teeth.
- Custom-made: Dentures are custom-made for every patient, depending on their set of teeth. This means that your denture will be personally curated for you based on your oral specificities, and you can enjoy a comfortable fit.
- Support: Dentures are significant as they provide support to facial features which may be affected due to missing teeth.